residential development guide for home extensions and new dwellings 


Home Page BRegs1 CentralOrder Contact Us Advertise on this site Privacy Site Map

Permitted Development Guide

From 1 October 2008, certain changes will be introduced to the types of work that you are permitted to carry out without the need to apply for planning permission - ie permitted development rights.

These works include defined small-scale home improvement and alteration projects, extensions, alterations or improvements to a dwelling house and the construction of buildings and structures in the garden. They do not include work to buildings containing flats.

Home owners should be aware that the Planning Portal is unable to give specific advice relating to individual properties. For example, it does not contain information on whether or not a property is Listed, located within a Conservation Area or subject to restrictive conditions attached to previous planning permissions.

These new regulations may mean you will not need permission to carry out the development in some cases and in others, like new driveways, it will mean that you will. It is important to check with the Planning Department whether permitted development rights for your property have been varied or waived before starting any work. The Planning Portal can help with their Interactive Householders Guide.

It should be born in mind that these changes in the Planning rules for householders wishing to extend or alter their properties, will not affect their requirement to make a Building Regulations application (which principally deals with health and safety aspects of the building)

Some proposals which were previously “permitted development” will now require planning permission, including, for example, certain roof extensions and conservatories or rear extensions over 3m in length. One major change is that new or replacement paving or surfacing of a front garden will now require permission where it is more than five square metres, is not porous or where run-off cannot be channelled to a porous area in the curtilage, such as a garden border. Another change is that any upper floor side-facing windows, in an otherwise permitted development scheme, will have to be fitted with obscured glazing. New controls have also been introduced for balconies, verandas and decking.


Permitted Development Guide - microgeneration

Permitted Development Guide - full legislation

Permitted Development Technical Guide from the DCLG (best guide so far)





Planning Permision in the Open Countryside