Topical Content Articles -
Planning permission and extensions
     Return to Main Planning Guide  I  topical content

Plan4 Group - Consolidating information on the web

Planning permissions and extensions - size matters between consenting adults

If you are gripped by the current mania for home improvements, don't forget to obtain the necessary building and planning consents before starting work. The rules governing planning permission and consents are complex and home improvers ignore them at their peril.

If you live in a conservation area, special rules apply to listed properties and any alterations, whether inside or out, will require listed building consent. You will also need planning permission if you want to divide off part of your home for use as a separate entity or to build a parking space for a commercial vehicle or taxi.

The same applies if you want to build something which goes against the terms of the original planning permission for the property or the work might obstruct the view of road users, or if it involves an addition or extension to a flat or maisonette.

Neighbours are likely to be concerned about changes which might affect the enjoyment of their property, especially if it is likely to deprive them of light or spoil a view.

Building works which seriously overshadow a neighbour's window which has been there for 20 years or more could affect their "right to light" and could lay you open to legal action.

It is sometimes best to modify your plans in order to fit in with your neighbours' wishes before applying for planning permission as your local authority will consult them anyway.

You should also be aware of covenants or other restrictions in the title to your property or conditions in the lease which may require you to get someone else's agreement before carrying out certain kinds of work.

Certain environmental requirements such as energy conservation now apply to new buildings while building over a sewer or drain will require planning consent.

Extensions are more complicated. You will need to make a planning application if an addition to your property makes it nearer to a highway than before, unless there would be at least 20 metres between your house and the highway, when extended.

The same applies if more than half the area of the land around your original house would be covered by additions or other buildings. You will also need to make a planning application if the extension or addition exceeds 115 cubic metres.

Extensions that are higher than the highest part of the roof of the original house or where any part of the extension is more than four metres high and within two metres of the boundary of your property, will normally require planning permission.

The same applies if you want to build an addition or extension to any roof slope which faces a highway or where it would add more than 50 cubic metres to the volume of the house or more than 40 cubic meters to a terraced house.

But lesser works such as the construction of conservatories, sun lounges, balconies, verandahs, loft conversions, patios and dormer windows will normally only require "general permission," rather than planning permission.

You can download copies of relevant regulations from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister's website, including Planning: A Guide for Householders and Building Control regulations. You can find out more detail about any planning restrictions in your own area from your local authority's website.


New simple to understand Planning Guide... "Puts dozens of strategies & risk assessments procedures that you should be completing BEFORE you present a scheme for formal Planning Approval in the UK."  (Order your 'ebook' today & find out how the 'Professional Planning Consultant' prepares a scheme for residential development PRIOR to formally submitting an extension scheme or full site redevelopment to the Planners!).

Obtaining Planning Permission for residential development in either extending your property or redeveloping the site for new dwellings needs careful presentation & a risk assessment prior to submitting for Planning Consent. A badly presented scheme to the Planning Department by the Novice home owner can lead to an Automatic Rejection & a Planning Refusal that could be hard to overturn. Our MAXIMUM BUILD Guide will assist you in assessing your sites potential & what areas you can exploit prior to submitting your scheme for Planning Permission.

click here to find out more about our guide 

To compliment our Planning Guide we have also produced a UK specific Specification Manual solely aimed at the domestic/residential side of building.  Are you completing your own drawing plans for the Building Regulations as well? Why not obtain our 'Specification Manual' to assist you with obtaining Building Regulations Approval as well.  Alternatively you may have already secured Planning Approval & just need this document.

click here to find out more about our Specification Manual 

Please note that articles on this site do not constitute regulated financial advice, which recommends a course of action based upon the specifics of your personal circumstances. The articles are intended to provide general personal financial information. We urge you to consult an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) before making any important decisions about your finances. Call 0800 085 3250 for details of IFAs in your local area. Any statement regarding financial services products and tax liability is based on legislation and tax practices as at 1 January 2004, which is, of course, subject to change.The value of any tax benefits or reliefs depends upon the individual circumstances of the investor.When investment performance is mentioned you should remember that past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Where products have an underlying investment content, in many cases the value of the investment can fall as well as rise. For with-profit based investments, there is no guarantee as to the level of bonuses that will be declared, if any. Where mortgages or secured loans are explained do remember that your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it. All mortgages are subject to underwriting, status and are not available to people under the age of 18.

Return to main Planning guide

Ads by Google

Schedule of Articles

property investing
property refurbishment
buying overseas property
moving house
home letting
buy to let
home improvements

top 10 celebrity areas
6 up & comming areas
5 signs that an area is up & comming
city types yearn for the country in town
your place in the sun
equity release
planning permissions & extensions
estate agents
rent or buy
buy to let
mortgage overpayment
mortgage endowments
mortgage protection
stamp duty
self build your home
electrical surveys
the cost of moving in
the perfect neighbourhood
council tax
house price league
good neighbours
stamp duty land tax
top 20 towns 2003
cut the cost of moving
interest rates
buying in scotland
dream homes
first time buyers
the worth of uk homes
bad estate agents
keeping up appearances
home improvements


Please note that articles on this site & any other 'planning-approval' related web site does not constitute professional advice. All articles are intended to provide a general view of many subjects. We suggest you to consult a solicitor before making any important decisions.  The author is not an expert in any given field.

Copyright 2004 all rights reserved